When some think of the Walter Kaitz Foundation, they think only of the annual dinner. In fact, Kaitz does activities throughout the year. For the first time, they will have three days of programs during The Cable Show ’08.
On Sunday, May 18, Cable Cares about Diversity in Engineering and Technology will introduce students and professionals from diverse backgrounds to technical career opportunities that exist in the cable industry. The Kaitz Foundation partnered with BET to produce the program and has invited students and faculty from Historically Black Colleges and Universities, the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and similar organizations in the New Orleans area to participate in the program.
The centerpiece of the program will be a panel moderated by Dr. David Porter featuring:
- Nomi M. Bergman, Executive Vice President, Strategy and Development, Advance/Newhouse Communications;
- Scott M. Mills, President & Chief Operating Officer, BET Networks;
- Tanya Van Court, Senior Vice President, Preschool & Parents Online, Nickelodeon, MTVN Kids & Family Group.
On Monday, May 19, Kaitz’s 9th Annual Supplier Diversity Connection Workshop provides a forum for cable industry participants to exchange ideas and build business relationships with the minority and women-owned business community. The Workshop’s keynote address will feature Jim Jeffcoat, Senior Vice President, Corporate Services, Time Warner Cable, followed by a presentation by David Wiehagen, Senior Director, Strategic Procurement, Time Warner Cable.
To round out the program, two sessions will also be featured.
- Budgets and Balance: The Economics of Supplier Diversity
- Michelle Ray, Program Director, Walter Kaitz Foundation (moderator)
- Taher Behbehani, Vice President, Business Affairs, Time Warner Cable;
- Olin Kropog, Vice President, Field Sales, Cox Communications, Inc;
- Jennifer Yohe Wagner, Vice President, Strategic Business Procurement, Comcast Cable;
- Lenore Washington-Graham, Vice President, Strategic Resourcing, Scripps Networks.
- Collaboration 101: Building Successful Strategic Alliances
- John Kist, Director, Supplier Diversity, Comcast Cable (moderator)
- MaryAnne Howland, President, Ibis Communications;
- Emilio Mahomar, President, Soundwriters, Inc.
On Tuesday, May 20, Kaitz has co-produced a panel with the Cabletelevision Advertising Bureau (CAB) which will focus on the importance of workforce diversification and highlight strategies for expanding outreach to diverse audiences.
- Diversity Rules: Connecting with the New Consumer Market
- Cynthia Perkins-Roberts, Vice President, Diversity Marketing & Business Development, CAB (moderator)
- Vicky Free, Vice President, Entertainment Marketing, TNT, TBS and TCM, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.;
- Lily Neumeyer, Vice President, Programming & Production, MTV3, MTV Networks;
- Chris Powell, Executive Vice President, Human Resources, Scripps Networks;
- Philip Woodie, Director, Sales and Marketing, Comcast Spotlight
You can learn more about these programs on The Cable Show website.